- Publications of our staff
- Research Guides Recognised by University Pune and other Universities
- UGC Minor Research Project Nano priming for increasing seed germination efficiency in soybean
- A study of the Scheduled Tribes of Khandesh & adjacent Gujarat border with special reference to Bhils and Kolis
- Study on Diversity and distribution of beetles (Insecta: Coleoptera) in Western Ghats of Pune district. by Mrs. Korad Vishaka
- quotes by Shakespeare
About the Department
- Oldest department of German language in India
- 1914: Prof. Panduranga Gune completed his doctorate in Sanskrit and Comparative Linguistics at the University of Leipzig, Germany and returned in 1913 to Fergusson College. He began, in addition to his responsibility of teaching Sanskrit, to teach German to a group of pupils in the 8th standard at New English School of the Deccan Education Society.
- 1918: First B.A. with German course started at Fergusson College for the first time in India
- 2014-15 : The department of German celebrated the centenary (2014) of teaching of German language in India.
- The Dept offers only UG courses as follows:
Information about the Courses
|Sr. No.||Name of the course/paper||Course Details|
General 1 (Advanced)
|Advanced level German|
|Basic level German (for Beginners)|
German General 2
Study of Language
- Prescribed Textbook : Lagune 2 (Chapter 2 to Chapter 6 + Chap 1 from Lagune 3)
Short Literary texts (Konkrete Poesie)
Special Paper 1- History and Literature in 20th century
-Post second world war History of Germany
- Relevant literary Texts (Short sories by Wolfgang Borchert, Poems etc)
- Study of literary Genre
- Relevant examples (Maerchen, Sagen, Fabeln etc)
Special Paper 2 - Study of Culture and literary works
- Cultural Themes such as " Umwelt", 'Essen und Trinken", Bildungssystem"etc.
Gripstheatre : Max und Milli.
General Paper 3
Language Skills and Translation
-Prescribed book : Lagune 3 (Chapter 2 to Chapter 6)
- Business German
Special paper 3
History, Culture and Literature
- German History (from German tribes till second world war)
Non Literary Texts from various fields such as tecnology, Environmental Science, Psychology, Transport etc.
Special Paper 4
Study of culture and civilization through informative and literary texts
- Study of literary Epochs
-Study of German Philosophers
-Longer Narrative Prose: “Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts" by Eichendorf
Information of the Students
- Proof reading
- Language training (Corporate sector)
- Corporate Coordination
- Higher studies in J.N.U. (M.A. German Translation)
- Remedial course for F.Y.B.A. Beginners: Students without prior knowledge of German can opt for German in FYBA where they are taught separately and not along with the students with prior knowledge of German. This kind of a remedial course is conducted only in Fergusson College.
- Since 2008-09 Awardees of Erasmus Mundus Scholarship for undergraduates Students specializing in German are Fergussonians. These students get a wonderful opportunity to study in the Free University of Berlin, Germany for 6-10 months.
- Every year the students of the German Dept are to be found amongst the Prize winners of the DAAD essay Competition. They receive scholarships to attend a summer course in a German university (4 weeks) along with a stay in a German family.
- Screening and Review of German films
- Visits and Guest lectures by German professors, Interns and native speakers to the Dept.
- Regular teaching supplemented by lectures of Experts from relevant fields
- Use of ICT in regular classroom teaching with the help of Smart TV
- Annual Departmental Fest : “ GerMania”
|Sr.No.||Photo||Name of the teacher||Designation|
Mrs. Amruta Kulkarni
(M.A., M.Phil, NET(JRF))
|Assistant Professor (Full time post)||Teaching Faculty|
Note: Biodata of any of the above mentioned faculty member can be downloaded by clicking on their name.
- Mrs. Amruta Kulkarni,Assistant Professor (Full time post) , M.A., M.Phil, NET(JRF)
- Received a scholarship by the university of Goettingen, Germany to do a teachers training course of two weeks duration (from 1st August-15th August 2010)
- Received a shortterm research fellowship by DAAD under the GIP program for an academic visit to the university of Goettingen, Germany (1st April - 30th June 2013)
Teaching History through the means of literary texts
Mrs. Amruta Kulkarni
Title: " Geschichte und Literatur: Am Beispiel der Teilung und Wieervereinigung Deutschlands im BA Studium in Pune"
University: Accomplished at the Dept. of Foreign Languages, SPPU
Year of completion : 2006
Identity and Integration in the selected German literary works
Mrs. Amruta Kulkarni
Topic of PhD Thesis:
" Identitaet und Integration in den ausgewaehlten deutschsprachigen Literatur"
Center: Dept. of Foreign Langugaes, SPPU
Registered in Aug 2013
Marathi- Russian-German lexicon
Mrs. Amruta Kulkarni Dr. Sunanda Mahajan
" Elementary and essential Marathi-Russian-German Lexicon"
Published by : kalasakta Publication 2013